Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Where Are You At?

I can't believe it is midterm.  Ah.  I think that already i have really progressed in this class.  I have a much better understanding of how the paints with with each other, and much more of a keen eye for seeing color in different objects.  Over the course of the term, i think that the most challenging aspect for me has been to not judge my painting in the middle of when i am painting it.  I get very easily discouraged, and often times when i stand back to look at what i need to work on in the painting, i end up judging it, and come to the conclusion that "it sucks."  Clearly, that would be because it is no where near finished.  I think that it is important to be able to give yourself constructive criticism, and not have to feel like you can't finish the painting because it is so awful, when really, it is no where near done.  That is something that i really need to work on.  I think that i have progressed the most in seeing different colors in objects.  I find it more easy to now mix colors, and use them as shading and light and dark sides of objects.  I think that I am able to clearly tell what colors i need to add in order to make something lighter or darker, or shinier, or more dull, or warm or cool.  I am very proud of myself to be able to do that, and it is one of the principle ideas in art, and i feel like i have made a huge advancement in the right direction in understanding color in shadows, and shades and different objects.  Today, it is extremely important to look at painting from throughout history.  We are able to see how art has developed up until today, and how it is still developing, and will continue to develop.  It is interesting, and important to learn what advancement people made, and how they came to the idea or conclusion that they needed to be "updated."  I think that over the course of this term, I have really progressed.  Although i do need to be more consistent with my blog, i am very proud of the work that i have displayed.

No comments: